Part of building a company that runs without you (what I call a Critical Mass Business) means you must hire and train employees. Many cleaning and restoration contractors stumble badly here. How to prevent this? (And avoid a lot of heartache!)
‘Stage manage’ a new employee’s entrance to your company! An essential actor in this process will be the exemplary employee assigned to ‘mentor’ your new hire. (If you are a small company this mentor may be you!) However, your mentor should also…
Train your new employee using a 2 week ‘Fast Track Training’ system.
NOTE: My goal? I wanted new techs to handle simple cleaning or restoration jobs alone AND within two weeks after hiring! Why? Because the Very Best People (the ones you want!) need to be challenged and feel useful right away! Here’s how I did this:
My ‘Fast Track Training’ concept A) organized and tracked the Initial Training and B) held both the mentor/trainer and new tech ‘accountable’. Here’s how to set up your very own two weeks training system:
1. List out the basic steps needed to run a job alone. Headings for basic carpet cleaning might include 1) Paperwork, 2) Truck stocking, 3) Equipment names and purpose, 4) Customer ‘Moments of Truth’ outline, 5) Setting up the job, 6) Starting the machine, 7) Basic carpet cleaning procedures, 8) Reviewing the job with client, 9) Receiving payment, 10) Communicating with the office, etc.
2. Under each heading list the actual procedures needed for each step. For example, under ‘Paperwork’ list out 1) Reading your Production Day Sheet, 2) Purpose of Job Folders, 3) Filling out the Work Order, 4) Recording customer concerns, etc.
3. Analyze which tasks a new tech should learn on Day One. Put your company’s applicable written procedures in a folder marked Day One.
4. Develop a one page ‘Skills Review’ multiple choice test for Day One. Clip it to your Day One folder. Repeat for all 10 days. Simple, right? 🙂 (OR you could attend SFS: Business Transformation and receive a pre-done Fast Track Training system!)
5. Git ‘er done! So after your new hire’s Welcome Aboard party the Mentor/Trainer picks up their Job Folders for the day along with the Day One Skills Review and Procedures Folder. As they work together the Trainer focuses on teaching the assigned tasks on the Day One Skills Review.
6. Accountability! At the end of the Day One your new worker takes the Skills Review test. 100% correct answers? GREAT! Their Trainer gets a $20.00 cash bonus immediately! Now that’s accountability! (And peer pressure!)
NOTE: And after your new hire successfully passes all 10 Skills Reviews? Ceremonially hand them a $100.00 bill at your new staff meeting… while giving Public Recognition!
Folks, this two weeks training system works… IF YOU DO! (BTW, this Fast Track Training concept works for office and sales staff too!) Let me know your results!