I call it “Giving a home owner the ‘Illusion of Control‘.” (IOC) Residential success is all about recognizing the negative Emotional Dynamics of having outside workers in the home INCLUDING feeling very much “out of control”!
Therefore, giving “control” back to your customers is a huge positive Moment of Truth. Here are some assorted “IOC exchanges”.* Program these into your technician’s work routines and watch your 5-star reviews skyrocket!
1. After introducing all your co-workers to the client, ask them if they would like your team to wear shoe covers inside their home. (Or even better, just do automatically put them on. It is all about showing “care and concern” for their home!)
2. If the customer is with you ask their permission before opening up a piece of furniture, closet or cabinet.
3. If you have only been working in one wing or part of the house ask permission before going into another area. HINT: If you need the customer and they are elsewhere call out to them by name instead of searching for and possibly startling them.
4. Initially park on the street and then ask the home owner which side of the driveway they would like you to park on. (This also avoids the logistical hassles of them needing to get their car out of the garage halfway through the job!)
5. If you need to go back into the home after you have said good-bye to a customer be sure to ring the doorbell. Don’t just walk back in! (Don’t ask me how I learned about this TIP!)
* Note the phrase “IOC exchanges” above. I compare the giving of Illusion of Control to your client to a tennis game. In tennis you serve the ball and then your opponent returns it. With IOC you “serve control” and then the home owner “returns the control” when they give you permission to proceed. This IOC exchange empowers your customer and calms their fears and is a huge subconscious Moment of Truth! Try it!
P.S: We’ve all had customer get a little “on edge” with us now and then. Please share below what little mishaps have sent your customers “over the edge”.
Tap into the collective “Moment of Truth” wisdom of our online Strategies for Success training. Not ready to transform your business yet? Then at the very least…
Every week we share an insightful tip like the above. So if you’re not already signed up for these weekly QuickTIPS, do so now.
This week’s FOCUS: Exit strategies for cleaners
Also new this week: